trevinano

Where northern Lazio interposes itself between Umbria and Tuscany, resulting in an oasis of peace and rare beauty, there is a small medieval village.

As the crow flies, the border with the neighbouring regions is just a few hundred meters: Lazio, Umbria and Tuscany create a triangle of age-old charm.

For a long time the history of Trevinano was inextricably linked to the aristocracy of Orvieto that owned it for centuries. After nearly 300 years ruling over the territory, in 1327 the Visconti of Campiglia were succeeded by the Monaldeschi della Cervara, who remained until 1592, when their lands were seized because Pope Clement VIII accused them of having harboured rebels and bandits. Trevinano and its lands were divided between the Apostolic Camera, Cardinal Simoncelli, bishop of Orvieto, and the heirs of the Monaldeschi della Cervara family. In 1687, the Apostolic Camera united the whole territory, giving it in fief to the Marquis Bourbon del Monte. In 1910 the last direct descendant of the Bourbon del Monte family married Prince Paolo Boncompagni Ludovisi, and the family still owns Trevinano Castle and some neighbouring estates.

Thanks to its geographical location and the fact that much of the land surrounding the village is protected, Trevinano has remained untouched to this day. The lovely town was built on a hill called the “Balza” and nestles around the castle.

The surrounding area is of great natural interest. Adjacent is the Natural Reserve of Monte Rufeno, about 3000 acres of oak and Mediterranean macchia, where you may encounter wild boar, deer, porcupines, foxes and many other protected species.

Trevinano is found in the province of Viterbo, near the town of Acquapendente, once an important staging post on the pilgrim route along the Via Francigena, at a time when the Via Cassia was the main link between Rome and the rest of the known world.